Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Jazz Recording last night...

Group shot of Ted Rosenthal(Piano), Patrick Smith(animator), Rufus Reid(Bass), Tim Horner(Drums), and Warren Vache (Cornet and Vocals), at Pirate Studio New York. Also, a shot of Rufus performing. The recording last night is for an animated piece called "Mis" I'm directing/animating for Samantha Berger(Nickelodeon). It's an educational piece, and we're using an original Jazz score, which was performed for us live. I just learned that a Cornet is kind of like a small trumpet. I'm still star struck when it comes to musicians, and even more so with Jazz guys. I'm happy to say that recording with live musicians is becoming common place in my animation. If anyone remembers, the score for both my films "Handshake" and "Puppet" was performed by a live 40 piece orchestra conducted by Charles Fernandez in LA. I'm heading out to LA next week, and I hope to hang out with him. Click here for a movie clip of the recording session with the Trone Orchestra back on 2004.