Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Masks... Consumption.. other stuff...

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. -Oscar Wilde. This image above sums up a strong theme in my recent work, that of consumption, greed, and abuse of the environment and it's resources. This consumption occurs with our "masks" firmly in place. Ultimately, the consumer will be the loser, and be the one that is wiped out. everything else will return with time. The only remains will be empty masks rocking in the wind. In my film, the "little dudes" seen above are early on the victim of over harvesting in order to satisfy a gluttonous need.
My fascination with masks is really only beginning with my next animated short. I've been collecting masks for years, shown above is a Balinese mask, used for the Barong Dance, one of the many mind-blowing things I saw during my time in Indonesia almost a decade ago, a time that directly influenced the artwork i'm currently interested in.