Tuesday, January 29, 2008

FANTASIA thoughts....


Above is the mushroom dance, part of the Nutcracker suite by by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. If you don't own the two volume Fantasia set, go now and buy it(jeez!) . Everyone should own this, the extras alone are worth the cost.

I believe that Fantasia is the most innovative, experimental, groundbreaking, quality, thought provoking, amazing animated feature of all time. It must kill "disney haters" and avant-guard gurus that one of the most experimental and revolutionary pieces of film came from Disney, and furthermore, they actually used Mickey Mouse(the symbol for hollywood and capitalist evil worldwide) in one of the best segments! I friggin' love it. I can hear hundreds of annoyingly artsy animators groaning at the thought. Also, I have to point out how amazing Fantasia 2000 was. I think they did a great job extending the concept into this millennium, it surprises me how little you hear about Fantasia 2000, perhaps, like it's predecessor, it will take a while for it to be truly appreciated.